Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Healthy You Update #1

I am now officially recognized by the Healthy You Challenge! I'm new to the community aspect of blogging, but so far am enjoying myself. It's truly inspiring to read about other people's experiences and successes -- weight loss is difficult but possible, and it's nice to know that people are backing me on this (and that I can make a difference by supporting others, too!)

That said, this past week has been emotionally and physically challenging. It's been just over a week since I ate my last trace of gluten (accidentally), and with each day that passes, I'm feeling (physically) better. The disappointing factor is that I won't feel 100% normal until every last ounce of gluten has left my system -- and gluten is stored in fat cells, so as I continue to lose weight, gluten will be slowly released. It acts as a toxin or poison, so I can look forward to some icky days until I'm truly "clean." I've been under a lot of emotional strain, and my doctor has suggested that I try seeing a health psychologist, who could help me process my diagnosis. I'm open to this idea, but I'd like to come to terms with having celiac disease on my own first.

I gained weight at my weigh-in on Sunday, but less than half a pound. The gain may also be due to girly-related bloating. Out of curiosity, I stepped on the scale this morning and weighed in at 193.2 -- so at least we're heading in the right direction.

My goals for the week:
  • Drink at least 70 ounces of water each day
  • Go for (at least) a 15-minute walk each work day
  • Get husband to help me set up the weight machine
  • Accomplish (at least) 90 minutes of aerobic exercise
  • Weight goal for next weigh-in:  191.5 lbs
I want my goals to be challenging but reasonable.  Baby steps.  These goals push my present routine, but shouldn't be too difficult.  I need to see change so that I can kick my excitement and motivation into high gear!

Have a great and successful week, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I didn't know that about gluten & being released slowly over time as you lose weight. That's awful. :(

    Your goals sound great! Welcome to the Healthy You Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the healthy you challenge, I hope you continue to feel better as the gluten leaves your system

    ReplyDelete