Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fit Point: Alternative Diet

How to Participate in Fit Blogs' Fit Point:

Write a post relevant to the topic.
Use the banner and link back to Fit Blogs.
Share the rules on your blog.
List yourself at Fit Blogs.
Comment on the person before you in the list.
Grab some creativity and free networking!
Today's Fit Point is extremely relevant in my life!

Alternative Diet Options
This week’s Fit Point explores Alternative diet options: Many health conscious individuals may be Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-free dieters or employ other alternatives to the normal dieting habits even semi-regularly, and we want to hear about them! What are the health benefits of the way you eat, and why did you decide to eat this way? What is your favorite recipe?

I considered myself to be a vegetarian on-and-off throughout middle and high school, but my dedication was never great and the commitment never lasted long.

Now, however, I'm in an entirely different boat.  I have celiac disease, which means that I must stick to a strictly gluten-free diet.  (Gluten is a protein that is found in grains, such as wheat, barley, and rye.  It acts as a toxin in my body, causing lower-intestine inflammation and a host of other problems).  So long as I avoid all gluten-containing foods and products, I'll be fine (once all traces of the protein leave my body).

So yes, there are a LOT of things that I can't have.  Most breads, pastas, and cereals contain wheat or gluten, sauces frequently contain gluten as a thickening agent, the glue on envelopes has gluten in it -- even certain medications and cosmetics contain gluten products!
The health benefit is clear, though -- I am forced to avoid a lot of junk foods.  Most fast food, candies, cheap chocolates, and snack foods are off-limits.  Losing weight and being healthy is going to be much easier with the removal of most of my biggest temptations!

Since my diagnosis, I have been eating a lot of salads.  I'm kind of a minimalist -- my favorite salad is made with fresh baby spinach, corn, cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, a sprinkle of cheese, and a drizzle of low-fat dressing.  Yum -- I think I know what's for dinner tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Its great that you've taken a condition that can be very hard on people, and put a positive spin on it. I congratulate you for your optimism!

    I would love to hear more about what a typical gluten-free diet day looks like for you. I'm a huge fan of salads, and yours sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's awesome that you have adapted to Gluten Free. My niece is allergic to milk and it's been a hard road for them to steer clear of it. I know there is milk in almost everything just like guten!
    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete