Wednesday, July 7, 2010

From the Gut

The drive home from work is torture -- even if you don't have gluten intolerance!  In a matter of blocks, I pass McDonald's, Wendy's, Milio's, Popeye's, Noodles & Co., Culver's, Hardee's, and four gas stations full of delicious donuts and various junk foods.  Yesterday was especially rough.  My mouth watered with each restaurant I passed, especially at the McDonald's, where posters of ice cream and chilled drinks plastered the windows.  Nom nom nom gluten goodness!

Okay, but the point is, I was good.  I drove on past and went home to my grilled chicken breast and green beans.  Later, I even rewarded myself for my good behavior with a small chocolate bar... except it was so sweet that it hurt my teeth, and I only ate two of the five segments.  Go me!

Problem:  I got sick again last night.  Celiac Disease for Dummies states that "your indigestions, bloating, flatulence, and diarrhea will likely start to ease within a few weeks."  Ouch.  I've been bouncing back faster and faster, but a bought if "illness" still knocks me down a few pegs and makes me feel like crap (no pun intended).

I'm determined to make the most of this, though, and today is a good day.  Despite the rain and all the fancy-pants work ladies who came prepared with umbrellas (but not me).  Despite the ick last night and this morning.  Despite being here at work, while I day dream of being holed up at home, tucked in and warm on the couch with the A/C going.  Today is what it is -- and that's just okay with me right now.

Every Wednesday, there's a small farmer's market right outside of my work.  I love seeing the sights on my breaks!  Today, I gifted myself a beautiful bouquet of sunflowers.  They're on my desk, doing an excellent job of making me smile.

I also picked up a gluten-free brownie from Silly Yak Bakery, my new FAVORITE STORE EVER.  They have mastered the art of baking gluten-free, and I highly recommend their products to anyone and everyone -- gluten intolerance or not!

Best.  Brownie.  Ever.

My goal for today is to drink copious amounts of water.  The scale read 194 this morning, but (besides two little pieces of chocolate and my devious brownie this morning) I've been meticulous about eating strictly clean.  My body is just happier and more cooperative when it's fully-hydrated.

Oh, and if I ever stop with the stomach upset, I might be able to get a real work-out in.  I tried to last night, but didn't get much accomplished for reasons that should be rather obvious.  < Insert witty joke about self here >  Har, har, har!

No comments:

Post a Comment