Monday, August 2, 2010

The Con

I hate when people use the elevator to go up one level.

It's even worse when they use it to go DOWN one level.

I work in an office building with many spoiled (and largely obese) state workers who evidently have something against using the stairs.  This obsession means that a short jaunt on the elevator can easily take up to five minutes to complete.

In the name of fairness, let me just say a whole lot, given the fact that I use the elevator, too.  I always ride from Floor 2B (way in the basement) to Floor 6 (with is a total of 8 floors and 16 flights of stairs up) when I arrive each morning.

HOWEVER -- if I'm going down, I always take the stairs.  (I might get a little dizzy from all the down-and-around, but it isn't too strenuous).  Going up, it depends on how far I have to go.  If we're talking up to three or four levels, I'll take the stairs.  Any more than that and I generally go 50/50 (example: take the elevator from 2B up to Floor 2 or 3, then take the stairs up to 6).  Each week, I try to climb more stairs than I did the week before.

Sure, I have lazy days and weeks, but at least I'm making an effort.  Constant disregard for health and wellbeing makes me a little cranky, especially when the person complains as they continue to indulge in their negative habit (example: taking the elevator up one level with your arms full of vending machine junk from the cafeteria while complaining that your back hurts).

Actually, I might just be grumpy because I gained weight this week -- a full 1.1 lbs.  Speaking of accountability for one's own wellbeing, who here has been binging on gluten-packed foods, then wondering why (a) she doesn't feel well, and (b) she gained weight.  Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Well, I'm tired of feeling crappy all the time -- especially because I have complete control over my health on this one.  It's really, seriously time to go strictly gluten-free.  Good-bye, wheat, barley, and rye products... I'll miss you forever.

2 comments:

  1. Been taking the stairs in the effort to lose more weight after my tummy tuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess that I have taken the elevator one floor before - either when I was carrying a bunch of stuff or when my knees were killing me.

    Sometimes there's a reason other than lazyiness, but yeah - I totally get what you mean!

    I'm nominating you for a blog award btw :)

    ReplyDelete