Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Celiac's Best Friend

Since my diagnosis, I've felt pretty left out.  Many social activities revolve around eating and drinking, and now that I have dietary restrictions to cope with, I haven't been invited to or involved with many gatherings.  Even at work, my co-workers don't ask if I want to "do" lunch anymore, and on ordering-in days, my cubicle is skipped over.

At home, we haven't been eating out nearly as much as we used to, except for a few times when we'd hit up Culver's and I'd order a salad.  This is good, because it's saving us a lot of money -- and fast food is a meal option that's healthy for us to miss out on, anyway.

It's just that I miss it.  A lot.  Eating out is a hard habit to break, made even more depressing by the fact that I don't have many (any?) good gluten-free fast food options.

Until now, that is!  My friend (and fellow celiac) suggested I try Jimmy Johns' "Unwiches."


These tasty morsels are just like their sub sandwiches, except they're wrapped up in crisp lettuce instead of warm bread.  They're a little bit messier to eat, but they taste amazing -- and the best part is, they're healthy and gluten-free!

It's nice to have an option that fits great with my nutrition plan (lean protein + complex carbs in one wrap!) that I can enjoy while out with family and friends.  Even if you're not on a gluten-free plan, I highly recommend trying an Unwich!

Disclaimer:  I'm not being paid by Jimmy John's to endorse their product(s), nor am I affiliated with the company in any way (besides being a loyal customer of theirs).  I'm just a somewhat crazed fan of gluten-free deliciousness!

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand how that would be difficult to deal with.

    Amanda mentioned to me today (apparently she is very interested in gluten-free life?) that Hubbard Avenue Diner in Middleton has a gluten free menu. I'm looking at it now online - it looks like some of the things you have to order special, but it tells you what you have to tell the waiter (in italics) in order to be gluten free. Hm, it also warns that they cook a lot of their food on the same griddle as gluten-y stuff, so I don't know.

    Here's the link (it's a PDF): http://www.hubbardavenuediner.com/assets/Uploads/Hubbard/Menus/Current/HUBWEBglutenfree2009.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ug, I know what you mean. I'm not celiac, but have Fructose Malabsorption. So, some things are the same. It's very hard in social situations. Especially when you go thinking you can have dinner, but get there and only one thing is ok to eat. It's hard. I have had to learn to not come totally hungry and expect for there not to be anything I can eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenna, I just found your blog. I think it's absolutely shameful that people don't invite you to go out to eat!! Amazing!! I also see a problem with fast food... but there are usually salads, unless they put croutons or pasta in them (which is a big problem, actually). Glad you found Jimmy John's!! I've also found a great place in Göteborg where they have lovely gf sandwiches and chocolate cake:)

    ReplyDelete